Iowa Highways: 260 to 279

Jump directly to route:
240-259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 280-299
270 271 272 273 274 276 277 278 279  
For an explanation of the route listings, click here.

Iowa 260
Designated: February 14, 1933
Decommissioned: April 26, 1977
Original western terminus: Shannon City
Original eastern terminus: US 169
Counties: Ringgold, Union (the road straddled the county line)
Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road had a bituminous surface at decommissioning (but has since been paved).
Replaced by: County Road J13, and one block of Main Street in Shannon City
Iowa 261
Designated: December 1, 1930 (number approved October 1)
Decommissioned: December 6, 1962
Original northern terminus: US 161 (later US 151) southwest of Anamosa
Original southern terminus: US 32 (later US 6) in Iowa City; it was eventually shortened to IA 1 by the time of its decommissioning.
Counties: Jones, Linn, Johnson
Paving history: There were no paved segments at designation.
  • 1937: Paved from Martelle to US 161 (151)
  • 1939: Paved for a short distance south of Solon and from Johnson County Road N (now F8W) west of Morse to Iowa City
  • 1940: Remaining segments from Solon to County Road N paved
  • 1941: Paved from the Linn/Johnson county line to Solon
  • 1947: Paved from Mount Vernon to the Linn/Johnson county line
  • 1952: Last segment, from Martelle to Mount Vernon, paved
  • Replaced by: Relocated IA 1
    Note: While most highways in this range were numbered in 1932 or 1933, IA 261 received its number in 1930, likely because it was numbered as a branch of US 161.
    For alignment changes in Iowa City, see the Highways of Iowa City page.
    Iowa 262
    Designated: May 9, 1933
    Decommissioned: July 15, 1980 (the city of Galt took over its piece on July 22)
    Original western terminus: US 69
    Original eastern terminus: Galt
    Counties: Wright
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road had a bituminous surface at decommissioning (but has since been paved).
    Replaced by: County Road R59. It was created after IA 72 was rerouted away from Galt.
    Iowa 263 (I)
    Designated: October 13, 1933
    Decommissioned: July 1, 1980
    Original northern terminus: Latimer
    Original southern terminus: Coulter; IA 3 intersected this double spur in the middle.
    Counties: Franklin
    Paving history: The entire road was paved at the time of designation.
    Replaced by: County Road S25
    Iowa 263 (II)
    Designated: November 15, 2000
    Decommissioned: March 31, 2003
    Original western terminus: US 20/IA 14 between Grundy Center and Parkersburg
    Original eastern terminus: US 20 at the Grundy/Black Hawk county line, southwest of Cedar Falls
    Counties: Grundy, Black Hawk
    Paving history: The entire road was paved at the time of designation.
    Replaced by: County Road D19. This unsigned highway was designated to a former segment of US 20 after the freeway segment ½ mile to the south opened.
    Former terminus photos
    Iowa 264
    Designated: December 5, 1933
    Decommissioned: August 7, 1980 (the city of Linn Grove took over its piece on July 1)
    Original western terminus: Linn Grove
    Original eastern terminus: US 71/IA 10 south of Sioux Rapids
    Counties: Clay, Buena Vista
    Paving history: The original segment was unpaved at designation; the realigned segment was upgraded from bituminous to paved in 1971.
    Major alignment changes: On August 16, 1938, the road became a north-south spur from IA 10 to Linn Grove.
    Replaced by: Unnumbered county road (original segment); County Road M36 (at decommissioning). The original segment was formerly part of IA 10.
    Iowa 265
    Designated: January 16, 1934
    Decommissioned: 1961
    Original northern terminus: US 34
    Original southern terminus: Kent
    Counties: Union
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was gravel at the time of decommissioning (but has since been paved)
    Replaced by: County Road P17
    Iowa 266
    Designated: January 16, 1934
    Decommissioned: July 1, 2003
    Original western terminus: US 65, later US 69
    Original eastern terminus: Weldon; it was truncated at the west city limits on October 27, 1980.
    Counties: Clarke, Decatur (the road straddled the county line)
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road had a bituminous surface until at least 1986 or 1987. The 1988 map showed it as paved, but as a county road (probably because of a map error, as it still appeared on route logs), and the 1991 map showed as paved. However, all maps from 1994 through 2003 showed it as bituminous, and the DOT's current Decatur County map still shows it that way. In a May 15, 2005, e-mail, J.D. Adams described its surface as a "glorified seal coating... You can see where the difference is in the paving from County to State at Weldon... It's been well worn and it might look paved, but when a good rain comes the tracks come through very easy."
    Replaced by: City street (Main Street in Weldon in 1980); County Road J12 (at decommissioning)
    Terminus photos
    Iowa 267
    Designated: May 22, 1934
    Decommissioned: July 1, 1980
    Original northern terminus: Randalia
    Original southern terminus: IA 93
    Counties: Fayette
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the entire road was paved in 1950.
    Replaced by: County Road W25; it was created by a realignment of IA 93.
    Iowa 268
    Designated: May 22, 1934
    Decommissioned: August 4, 1971
    Original western terminus: IA 21 (later US 59) south of Defiance
    Original eastern terminus: Irwin
    Counties: Shelby
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was paved in 1951.
    Replaced by: IA 37. (Ironically, the Highway Commission discussed extending IA 37 to Irwin in its May 22, 1934, meeting, but they decided to create a separate highway instead.)
    Iowa 269
    Designated: July 2, 1934
    Decommissioned: July 28, 1980 (the city of Stockport took over its piece on July 1)
    Original northern terminus: Stockport
    Original southern terminus: IA 16
    Counties: Van Buren
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was paved in 1961.
    Replaced by: County Road W30. It was created after IA 16 was rerouted away from Stockport.
    Iowa 270
    Designated: August 14, 1934
    Decommissioned: August 26, 1980
    Original northern terminus: Hillsboro
    Original southern terminus: IA 16 at the Henry/Lee county line
    Counties: Henry
    Paving history: The entire road was paved at the time of designation.
    Replaced by: County Roads W46 and J20. Like IA 269, it was created after IA 16 was relocated.
    Iowa 271 (I)
    Designated: November 7, 1934
    Decommissioned: June 4, 1935
    Original western terminus: Marne
    Original eastern terminus: US 71 at Atlantic
    Counties: Cass
    Paving history: There were no paved segments.
    Replaced by: IA 83
    Iowa 271 (II)
    Designated: June 4, 1935
    Decommissioned: July 1, 1980
    Original northern terminus: IA 17 (later IA 4)
    Original southern terminus: Yale
    Counties: Guthrie
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the post-1938 segment was paved in 1958.
    Major alignment changes: On December 6, 1938, IA 271 became an east-west spur between the newly extended IA 150 (III) and Yale.
    Replaced by: IA 150 (III) (north-south segment in 1938); County Road F25 and Main Street in Yale (at decommissioning)
    Iowa 272
    Designated: December 4, 1934
    Decommissioned: November 9, 1992
    Original western terminus: Elma; it was truncated at the east city limits on May 1, 1990.
    Original eastern terminus: US 63
    Counties: Howard
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was upgraded from bituminous to paved in 1970.
    Replaced by: County Road B17; replacement for IA 52
    Former terminus photos
    Iowa 273
    Designated: January 15, 1935
    Decommissioned: July 1, 2003
    Original western terminus: Lake Wapello State Park
    Original eastern terminus: US 63 north of Bloomfield
    Counties: Davis
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was paved in 1955.
    Major alignment change: In 1949, IA 273 was straightened from Drakesville eastward to US 63. It had previously followed present-day County Roads T61 and T7J (which are still unpaved).
    Replaced by: Unnumbered county road. E-911 names are Eagle Boulevard (for the segment between the state park and County Road J3T) and 180th Street (from J3T to US 63)
    Terminus photos
    Iowa 274
    Designated: December 4, 1934
    Decommissioned: July 1, 1986
    Original western terminus: Ambrose A. Call State Park
    Original eastern terminus: US 169 south of Algona
    Counties: Kossuth
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was gravel at the time of its decommissioning (but has since been paved).
    Replaced by: Unnumbered county roads; replacement for IA 163 (I)
    Former terminus photos
    Iowa 276
    Designated: November 20, 1934
    Decommissioned: July 1, 2003
    Original northern terminus: Orleans; on June 4, 1935, it was rerouted along the west shore of Spirit Lake to end at the Minnesota state line near Mini-Wakan State Park
    Original southern terminus: IA 9 in the city of Spirit Lake; on October 29, 1999, it was truncated north of Spirit Lake's north city limits, just south of the junction with what was then IA 327.
    Counties: Dickinson
    Paving history: The entire road was paved at the time of designation, but the 1935 extension was gravel until it was paved in 1956.
    Replaced by:
  • IA 327 (short segment to Orleans in 1935)
  • City street (Hill Avenue in Spirit Lake, in 1999)
  • County Road M49 (at decommissioning)
  • Terminus photos
    Iowa 277
    Designated: June 4, 1935
    Decommissioned: August 21, 1980 (the city of Numa took over its piece on October 28)
    Original western terminus: Numa
    Original eastern terminus: IA 60 (later 5) southwest of Centerville. It was extended eastward to end at the realigned IA 60 on April 27, 1949.
    Counties: Appanoose
    Paving history: There were no paved segments at designation. A paved segment to the south and west of Centerville (which was once part of IA 60) was added to the road in 1948, and the rest of the road was paved in 1958.
    Replaced by: County Road J46
    Iowa 278
    Designated: June 4, 1935
    Decommissioned: August 21, 1980 (the city of Rathbun took over its piece on January 12, 1981)
    Original western terminus: Rathbun
    Original eastern terminus: IA 60, later IA 5, north of Centerville
    Counties: Appanoose
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was upgraded from bituminous to paved in 1975.
    Replaced by: County Road J29
    Iowa 279
    Designated: June 4, 1935
    Decommissioned: July 1, 2003
    Original northern terminus: Atkins; it was truncated at the east city limits on November 2, 1980.
    Original southern terminus: US 30, later US 30/218
    Counties: Benton
    Paving history: Unpaved at designation, the road was paved in 1955.
    Replaced by: County Road E44 and Main Avenue in Atkins (in 1980); County Road W28 (at decommissioning).
    Terminus photos

    Previous page: Iowa Highways 240-259
    Next page: Iowa Highways 280-299
    Back to the Iowa Highways Page
    © 1997-2017 by Jason Hancock / Last updated March 26, 2017